There is nothing more satisfying than upcycling old wooden furniture into a modern, rustic piece that makes a statement in a room. If you are looking to furnish a room on a budget, go searching for that perfect old item at second-hand stores, charity shops and auctions and try this easy DIY project to give it new life – and yourself a great feeling of satisfaction!
You really don’t need to have artistic skills to create that one-of-a-kind piece, you simply need the right paint supplies and fortunately, you can count on us for the best deals!
Here’s what you will need:
- Black bags or drop sheets
- Sand sponges
- Hall’s Cheese Paint (An ideal furniture paint and available in a variety of paint colours, choose two colours if you are going for a pre-painted look)
- Hall’s Cheese Wax
- Hall’s Cheese Seal
- Old rags
- Paint brushes and rollers
Now that you have the materials, you can get started with the fun! In just 10 steps, you will have given your chosen piece that rustic farmhouse look.
- Line the area you are working on with blag bags.
- Decide if you want to distress the door knobs and hardware – if not, use masking tape to keep them covered or take them off all together.
- Sand the surface of the piece.
- Wipe the piece down with a clean cloth and ensure that all dust is removed.
- There are two looks that you can go for when painting – the single colour or the pre-painted look. If the latter is what you are after, you will need two paint colours.
- Apply one coat of your desired colour of Hall’s Cheese Paint to the surface area (your first colour if you are using two colours).
- Once dry and if using a second colour, paint this layer on now. If not, skip this step.
- Once the paint is dry, now give the surface that “worn look” by using a sanding sponge and water to selectively expose the layers underneath, paying particular attention to sanding along the grains and corners (anywhere that it would be naturally worn).
- If you are happy with the overall look, you can now decide if you want the finished look to have a satin finish or a shiny finish. If the shiny finish is what you want, apply one coat of Hall’s Cheese Wax and buff with a cloth to give it shine. For the glazed look, apply a coat of Hall’s Cheese Seal.
- Place in pride-of-place in your home!
Buy all your Hall’s painting items online here or visit our store in Pietermaritzburg for more great prices.
Every now and then, we will be giving you DIY ideas to implement in your home and would love to see how your projects turn out; please share your progress with us by using #HallsDIY!